Hi there! Thanks for checking out my blog. I am author Don M. Winn, writer of the award-winning book for parents and educators called Raising a Child with Dyslexia: What Every Parent Needs to Know, as well as the award-winning four-book Sir Kaye the Boy Knight series of chapter books for middle readers and thirteen picture books. I call my collection of books CBA books—which is short for Cardboard Box Adventures.
Why? Because kids can have endless imaginative adventures with just an empty cardboard box, and I hope that my books can help introduce kids to the same kinds of creativity and imagination found in stories, combined with the fantastic adventure that reading can be!
Want more details? Read more about my work, published articles on other websites, and public speaking as a dyslexia advocate below in my Author Don Winn Press Kit.
Please subscribe to be notified when I publish a new post on this blog.
I am dyslexic. I understand the struggle of learning to read for pleasure when it’s incredibly difficult to read at all. But one thing I remember vividly from my childhood is that when people read aloud to me, I loved the stories, and as I grew, the reward of experiencing great stories is what made the effort of reading worthwhile. My hope is to share that love of stories with young readers and to encourage parents not to stop reading aloud to their kids—especially struggling readers—even when they’re older.
To help young readers cultivate this love of story, I work very hard to make sure each of my chapter books is full of adventure, excitement, and compelling characters, but I also make sure they are available as audio books, so that struggling readers can whet their appetites with a taste of the “good stuff”—the stories that make the effort of reading worthwhile.
I am also a speaker, frequently addressing parents and educators on how to maximize the value of shared reading time and how to help dyslexic and other struggling readers to learn to love to read. I’ve published articles about dyslexia and reading in a variety of print and online magazines, including MD Monthly, the Costco Connection Magazine, Latin Times, TODAY Parenting, Fostering Families Today, and many others. See below for a full list.
Published Articles by Children’s Author Don Winn
- Storyteller published in VIM magazine.
- How to Raise Readers Book Extract published in VIM magazine.
- The Power of One Small Step published in Story Monsters Ink magazine.
- Four Signs of Dyslexia in Teenagers published in Your Teen online magazine
- Raising a Child with Dyslexia: What Every Parent Needs to Know book excerpt by Don M. Winn published in Exceptional Parent magazine.
- How Early Can Dyslexia Be Diagnosed? published in First Time Parent online Magazine.
- Dyslexia and Agency: Healing the Connection published on NFReads.com.
- Compounding (dis)Interest: Don’t Let the Summer Reading Slide Stall Your Child’s Literacy published in CEO Mom
- Could Your Child Be Dyslexic? published in Our Children
- Inspiring a Love of Reading Books in Dyslexic Children published in Washington Parent
- The Best Storybook Heroes for Dyslexics published in Story Monsters Ink
- Mitigating the Emotional Toll of Dyslexia published in City Parent
- Understanding Your Dyslexic Child published in Fostering Families Today
- Could Your Child Be Dyslexic? published in Bay State Parent
- Is Dyslexia the Root of Your Child’s Anxiety and Behavior Problems? published on MDmonthly.com
- Dealing with Dyslexia published in The Costco Connection
- This is Then, That was Now: What Parents and Educators Can Learn From Adults With Dyslexia published on edcircuit.com
Published Interviews with Don M. Winn
- Education News—Comics as a Coping Skill During Virtual Learning for Kids with Learning Difficulties
- Education News—Coping with a Sense of Loss of Control
- Education News—Recent Awards for Raising a Child with Dyslexia
- Education News—Raising a Child with Dyslexia and exposing common myths about dyslexia
- Education News—Raising a Child with Dyslexia
- Education News—There’s a Monkey in my Backpack!
- Education News—Space Cop Zack, The Lost Treasure of Zandor
- Education News—Preventing Summer Reading Loss
- Education News—Happy Moments Project
- Education News—Sir Kaye Series Now Available as Audio Books
- Education News—The Eldridge Conspiracy
- IndieReader Review—Legend of the Forest Beast
- Education News—Space Cop Zack, GARG’s Secret Mission
- Education News—Legend of the Forest Beast
- The Family Review Center—Superhero wins Best of the Year Award
- Renaissance Performers and Merchants—The Lost Castle Treasure
- Education News—Space Cop Zack
- IndieReader Review—The Knighting of Sir Kaye wins IRDA
- Education News—The Knighting of Sir Kaye
- Georgetown View Magazine—Cardboard Box Adventures Books
- Round Rock Focus Magazine—Round Rock’s Aesop
- Education News—Adventures in a Cardboard Box?
- Round Rock Leader—Local Author Looks to Foster Parent/Child Reading Process